Friday 4 September 2015

Top 5 Songs about Time - THE RESULTS

Oh boy. Have I dragged the process out long enough for you? This was a bit of a struggle, despite loads of you taking part (for which I'm very thankful), as somewhat inevitably I ended up with a massive list of songs but not much clear separation between vote numbers. I ran a second vote via the blog but rather than base the results entirely on that I fudged the two votes together to come up with the final top five but I think best captures the songs that were most popular.


1. Pink Floyd "Time" - This was a clear winner in both votes and was certainly the first song that I thought of when this topic was suggested. One of the stand out tracks from The Dark Side of the Moon and was released as a single in February 1974. Wikipedia tells me that the introduction of clocks chiming and alarms ringing was actually recorded as a quadraphonic test by Alan Parsons and not specifically made for the album.



2. Fairport Convention/Sandy Denny "Who Knows Where The Time Goes?" - Written by Sandy Denny before she joined Fairport Convention but not officially released until her second album with the band, the 1969 album Unhalfbricking. It's a magnificent showcase for Sandy's magnificent vocal and became her signature tune, a version she recorded with The Strawbs prior to joining Fairport was eventually released in 1973.



3. Cyndi Lauper "Time After Time" - This was a huge hit in 1984 and along with Girls Just Wanna Have Fun made Lauper a star. It gave her a first US number one and got to number three in the UK charts. One of the first singles I remember buying though I'm not sure if I got the 7" or the 12".


Photo by Source. Licensed under Fair use via Wikipedia



4. Roberta Flack "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" - I was a bit surprised to see this song do so well but it featured highly in both polls. Written by Ewan MacColl for Peggy Seeger in 1957 it became a major international hit for Roberta Flack in 1972.



5= The Smiths "How Soon Is Now?" - More of this later as it made my personal top five which, if all goes to plan, I'll reveal next week.



5= The Cure "10:15 Saturday Night" - The b-side to The Cure's debut single Killing an Arab, released in December 1978, this also became the opening track for their debut album Three Imaginary Boys the following year.



Best of the rest goes something like this;

7 Nick Drake Time Has Told Me
8 Chic Good Times
9 Strokes 12:51
10 Prince Sign O The Times
11 Rialto Monday Morning 5:19
12 Ride Time Machine
13 Culture Club Time (Clock of the Heart)
14 Edwin Starr Time
15 Talk Talk Time it's Time
16 The Who 5:15
17 Bill Hailey & The Comets Rock Around The Clock
18 Rolling Stones The Last Time
19 Iron Maiden Two Minutes To Midnight
20 Genesis Counting Out Time
21 Chambers Brothers Time Has Come Today
22 David Bowie Time
23 Saxon Dallas 1pm
24 Clash 48 Hours
25 Cast/Richard O'Brien The Time Warp

.

No comments: