Wednesday 24 June 2015

50 years of tunes - 1987 - R.E.M. "Document"

I didn't get into R.E.M. until Out Of Time broke huge in the summer of '91 having previously dismissed them as being a bit too Indie for me. The 90s was the decade when I broadened my musical horizons a bit and R.E.M. had a lot to do with that. I worked my way back and discovered the joys of their early I.R.S. catalogue which is full of gems. Their debut album Murmur might be my favourite but Document runs it very close.

1987 - R.E.M. "Document"

Released: September 1987
Label: I.R.S.
Producer: Scott Litt and R.E.M.


Side one – "Page side"

1. "Finest Worksong"
2. "Welcome to the Occupation"
3. "Exhuming McCarthy"
4. "Disturbance at the Heron House"
5. "Strange" (Bruce Gilbert, Graham Lewis, Colin Newman, Robert Gotobed)
6. "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)"

Side two – "Leaf side"

7. "The One I Love"
8. "Fireplace"
9. "Lightnin' Hopkins"
10. "King of Birds"
11. "Oddfellows Local 151"

(All tracks composed by Bill Berry, Peter Buck, Mike Mills and Michael Stipe, except as indicated)



.

No comments: