Friday 8 May 2015

Collaborative Top 5 - Songs About Weather - RESULT

Here's the moment you've all been waiting for. The results of the inaugural collaborative top five. I've learned a lot from doing this but am mainly relieved I got enough people interested to provide a clear winner. Thanks for everyone who voted and everyone who nominated too.


1. Blur "This Is A Low" - My lack of lyric attention led me to think this was tentative but a pal on The Facebook pointed out to me it's about the shipping forecast and a low pressure weather front hitting Britain. Bit embarrassed I liked the song so much and had missed the link completely. Either way it is a fine song and possibly my favourite tune by Blur.



2. The Doors "Riders on the Storm" - I'm not a Doors fan, as one of my pals was slightly shocked to discover down the pub the other day, but even I realise this is a cracking song. The stormy intro sounds making this the most obviously weather related tune on the list.



3. The Beta Band "Dry The Rain" - I love this song too, not sure The Beta Band ever bettered it.



4. Bill Withers "Ain't No Sunshine" - A song that's so familiar it's hard to remember a time it didn't exist. Produced by Booker T Jones and featuring many of the famous Stax session musicians (though it was released by LA label Sussex).



5= Creedance Clearwater Revival "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?" - Really pleased this made the cut as it's the only one of my choices to do so. Further proof that John Fogerty is an amazing writer of songs.



5= Pixies "Stormy Weather" - Appropriate, considering the "Blur controversy" that I couldn't separate the 5th placed tunes and it's my favourite band that benefits. I didn't even vote for them!




My personal top five is here. Nick Drake didn't get much love beyond my vote, Rain by Quo looked a dead cert for a top five spot early on but dropped away and if you only check out one of these give the Irma Thomas tune a spin, it's gorgeous.

1. Nick Drake "Saturday Sun" - www.youtube.com/watch?v=26a7skUt6-g
2. Creedance Clearwater Revival "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?" - www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu2pVPWGYMQ
3. Status Quo "Rain" - www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XP156nvOrg
4. Irma Thomas "It's Raining" - www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNZFbgszrVY
5. Ramones "California Sun" - www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7JpamytAws

And five songs (in no particular order) I've enjoyed and didn't know before we started this;

The Prisoners "Hurricane" - www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANxTe5-IE5c
Half Man Half Biscuit "When The Evening Sun Goes Down" - www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H3t5PY4qgY
Rush "Vapor Trail" - www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0ZS7HSy6cw
Fats Domino "Let The Four Winds Blow" - www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpuMXRlLiQI
Roddy Frame "Forty Days of Rain" - www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOoBhXDhkSE

1 comment:

Chopper said...

Here's the top 16 tunes for those wanting to know how close their favourite tune got.

1 Blur - This Is A Low
2 The Doors - Riders on the Storm
3 Beta Band - Dry The Rain
4 Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine
5 Creedance Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen The Rain?
5 Pixies - Stormy Weather
7 Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road
8 ELO - Mr Blue Sky
9 A-Ha - The Sun always shines on TV
10 Crowded House - Weather with you
11 Charlatans - Not Even The Rain
11 Guns 'n' Roses - November Rain
11 The Fall - A Lot Of Wind
14 Jimi Hendrix - The Wind Cries Mary
14 Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
14 The Beatles - Here Comes The Sun