Friday 16 January 2015

Top 5 Gigs of 2014

Another year in which I intended to cut back on gigs but failed to resist the lure of exciting new bands (and a few exciting old ones). Technically I did go to less but only by 3 so not really the reduction I was aiming for. I managed a total of 23, just one short of two a month, which is too many though were on the whole all fabulous nights and a large reason why I failed to keep this blog ticking over.

1. Status Quo at Hammersmith Odeon (Friday 28th March) - Roughly a year on from the first time I saw the classic "Frantic Four" line up here was one last chance to catch them live. So, Quo grab the prize two years in a row. That may seem a bit repetitive (ironically) but this was genuinely the best gig of the year for me. They played pretty much the same set (bar a couple of songs) as the previous year but I was significantly less drunk and enjoyed it all the more. Tonight had the added bonus of the Wilko Johnson Band as support and Wilko was in fine form, a real privilege to see him strut his stuff and, following the news about his successful operation, hopefully not the last.

read full report at Choppers Gigs


2. The Sonics at Brighton Concorde 2 (Monday 5th May) - I had unfinished business with The Sonics. The last time I saw them live (which was also the first time the reformed line-up had played in the UK) was back in 2008. I was near the back and didn't really connect with the show the way I'd hoped for. Tonight I made sure I was right down the front and the band did not disappoint. In fact they were on blistering form, which was pretty impressive for a band made up largely of septuagenarian's. I also got to meet Gary from BBC's Big Allotment Challenge.

read full report at Choppers Gigs


3. Goat at The Roundhouse (Friday 3rd October) - A band who remain tantalisingly anonymous, wearing a variety of masks on stage and, so far, eluding my attempts to Google their names. The two female vocalists never stop to chat to the audience but kept the crowd captivated with their harmonious vocals and non-stop dancing. Goat have a brilliantly feelgood vibe that put a smile on everyone's face and got everyone dancing.

read full report at Choppers Gigs


4. Mogwai at the Royal Festival Hall (Friday 24th January) - Very few things match the buzz of getting a ticket for a sold out show on the day of the gig. With new album Rave Tapes dominating my playlist I made a late decision to try and get tickets. Magically the RFH came to my rescue by releasing a few extra restricted view tickets in the week of the show. This worked out brilliantly for me as I ended up in a fantastic spot and saw a spectacular gig from one of my favourite bands.

read full report at Choppers Gigs


5. Dead Rat Orchestra at The London Canal Museum (Monday 28th July) - During July & August 2014 the Dead Rat Orchestra undertook a unique tour across the canals and waterways that run from London to Bristol. This was the opening night of a 273 mile odyssey that really captured my imagination. They planned to gather stories and write songs as the journey progressed, incorporating these into their live set as the journey progressed. This first night was wonderful and ended with the band playing as their small cruiser sailed off into the dark ...


... then they came back, still playing the same tune. Having formally launched the tour there was time for one last encore downstairs, which I watched from behind a coat rack. I had hoped to catch them again further down river but in the end only managed one other performance, a free gig at Staines Memorial Gardens a few days later.

read full report at Choppers Gigs


.

No comments: