Wednesday 9 May 2012

Music Diary 2012 - Day 3

Woke up to the radio again and caught a bit of something by The Kinks, but forgot what it was by the time I came round enough to write anything down.

Listened to my Nano on the drive to work. I had Trembling Bells spinning around in my head and felt it was time I took a break from the random shuffle approach, so played "The Marble Downs" album again on the way in to work.
"I Made A Date (With An Open Vein)"
"I Can Tell You're Leaving"
"Ferrari In A Demolition Derby"
"Ain't Nothing Wrong With A Little Longing"


I didn't get another chance to play any music until gone five. I was working late though so once I had the office to myself I played part of Monday's Marc Riley show from 6Music via the BBC iPlayer. I love Marc's show but don't always have enough time to listen to the whole thing so often just check out the live session band.
"Love Is The Drug" Roxy Music
"I Can't Get Around You" Ty Segall & White Fence
"Devastating Bones" Shrag
"Death Wish" Bowerbirds (live session)

(skipped forward to next session track)
"Sea Ferring" Butthole Surfers
"Stitch The Hem" Bowerbirds (live session)
"Jesse James" Laurel Aitken (John Peel Session 28/04/1980)
"Heartbreaker" Metronomy
"Careful" Fiction
"Love Song Without Flute" Caravan


Work done and dusted I headed into town to catch Laura J. Martin play at The Chapel behind The Gallery Cafe in Bethnal Green. A bit of a trek on a wet Wednesday night but thoroughly worth it. The Chapel seats about 50 people so this was a truly intimate show. Support came from Napoleon IIIrd who was playing acoustically for the first time. I wasn't familiar with his work but he impressed with some intresting guitar picking and soaring vocals. James played 7 songs of which I only caught a couple of titles (The Down Stroke and One Of Those Days) but intrigued enough for me to investigate further.

Laura J Martin initially captured my interest thanks to some extensive play from the boy Riley. I saw her a few weeks ago at a sparsely populated 93 Feet East but couldn't resisit another chance to see her play. Laura combines flute, mandolin, keyboards and her vocals to sublime effect and using a loop pedal to build layers of sound as she plays. She deserves a much bigger audience so try and check her out if you get the chance.
Fire Horse
The Lesson
It’s Taken So Long (Cathy Smith cover)
Spy
Tom
Sour Grapes
Red Flag
At The Close Of The Day
Salamander
Encore: Doki Doki



.

No comments: