Saturday 1 January 2011

Top 5 New Year resolutions 2011

First a very Happy New Year to you all! I hope you're still too drunk for the hangover to have kicked in yet.

I'm not one for making New Years resolutions (well, I'm not one for sticking to them at any rate) so I wasn't completely certain about the validity of doing this. However, there are a few things I really need to achieve this year and I figured if I actually publish a list, visible to the entire population of the Internet (or at the very least 6 people I know personally), I might actually stick them out.

1. Lose Weight - I've had a shocking year on the weight front. Hit 40 and suddenly everything goes south. A lack of exercise (see No. 2) hasn't helped, but my failure to adapt my diet is the main cause. I need to cut out the snacks, and reduce the portion size.


2. Get fitter - My achilles has prevented me doing most of the sports I actually enjoy, and some intense periods at work (coupled with a lack of self-motivation) have reduced my appearances in the gym. I need to take the rowing machine by the handles and start burning the fat.


3. Work off the list of jobs that need doing round the house - Procrastination is my middle name and there's a stack of things that need doing around the house I've been ignoring for far too long. Of course some of these will be beyond my fairly poor skills with DIY but I can no longer sit by and let them go unresolved.


4. Play the Guitar - Been trying to do this since I was 13 without much success. I suspect I may have left it too late to start my international rock star career, however, I'm still keen to get some sort of tune out of my acoustic.


5. Spend less time on the PC - Bit of a catch-22 as that would also mean less top fives, but I've had too many late nights when I've either begun some random Internet search marathon or found a late night documentory about bee farming to watch (that's a euphemism obviously). I plan to be in bed by 12 at the latest and turn the PC off by 11.


I'd also like to find a nice hat to wear. Not a baseball cap or a wooly one but something classic. The sort of hat that Cary Grant might have worn. Let me know if you've any ideas what sort of style might suit me.

No comments: